Nominations for Imperial College Union Malaysian Society Executive Committee for the academic year 2013/2014 are now open. Please find the rules regarding nominations below.
2) Vice President
5) Sports Secretary
6) Communications Secretary
7) Committee Member (4 positions)
Nominations will close on Sunday, 17th of March, 2013 at 11.59pm.
Manifestos will be up on our website by Monday, 18th of March, 2013.
Voting procedures will also be sent out on Monday.
Elections will be held at the Annual General Meeting, for which the details are as follows:
Annual General Meeting:
Date: 20th of March, 2013 (Wednesday)
Venue: Blackett Lecture Theatre 3 (Physics Building)
Rules of Nominations:
- All registered and paid members of the society are eligible to contest for any executive committee post.
- All nominations must be supported by one proposer and one seconder who must be registered and paid members of the society.
- Each member may only propose and/or second one candidate.
- The current President will not propose or second any candidates.
- All candidates must submit a concise and clear manifesto before nominations close to the returning officer. This manifesto will be displayed on the society website for members to read before the AGM. Candidates are advised to think about the club objectives, their aims for the society, what they can give to the post they have chosen or to the society in general, and how they intend to solve the current problems faced by the society. This is only a guideline and candidates may write whatever they wish in their manifesto.
- All candidates should be aware that they will be allowed to contest for another post should they be unsuccessful in their first position of choice. (E.g. Unsuccessful candidates for the president position will be allowed to run for all other posts from vice president to secretary to treasurer to sports secretary to communications secretary to ordinary committee member, in that order.) Candidates have to declare that they have chosen to run down and which posts they are running down for together with their nomination. They will also have to declare during the elections, that they have opted to run down should they fail to be elected.
- Reserved manifestos must be written for all posts that candidates intend to run down for. These will not be displayed on the website but will be projected during the AGM if a candidate has run down for another position.
- Candidates may withdraw from any of the posts they have decided to contest for up till the day of elections.
- All successful candidates will have to withdraw their candidacy for all other posts.
- All candidates must submit the following details in the order shown below, before nominations close on Sunday, 17th of March, 2013 at 11.59pm to the returning officer, Charmain Li firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full Name
- Proposer (Name and Course and Year)
- Seconder (Name and Course and Year)
- Choice of alternative run-down posts (optional)
- Reserved Manifestos (only if there is a choice of an alternative post)
- All candidates are encouraged to read the constitution. A copy can be requested from the returning officer. The constitution also includes general roles for each post.
- All candidates (with the exception of candidates running for the post of committee member) will be required to make a short speech during the AGM. President candidates will have a maximum time limit of 3 minutes while the rest of the committee members will be given 2 minutes. Ordinary committee members will have their manifestos projected during the AGM.
- A Q&A session will follow after each speech has been delivered. Ordinary committee members will have the Q&A session immediately without speech.
Previous manifestos can be viewed here.
Please direct any questions to any of the present committee members. It is highly encouraged that all nominees take the election process seriously and to talk to the present committee about the roles and functions as well as the level of commitment that is required.
A meeting to brief candidates on the election procedures will be held one week before the AGM, for which the details are as follows:
Date: 13th of March, 2013 (Wednesday)
Venue: Royal School of Mines, Lecture Theatre 1.47 (Building with the pink entrance)
Should you have queries regarding nominations, elections or any other related matters, please do not hesitate to drop me an email.
Have a great week ahead!
Returning Officer 2012/2013