An update that the time for pre-AGM briefing for candidates on the election procedures has been changed. The new details are as follows:
Date: 13th of March, 2013 (Wednesday)
Venue: Royal School of Mines, Lecture Theatre 1.47 (Building with the pink entrance)
The AGM will take place at the same time and venue as stated in previous emails with the following details.
Annual General Meeting:
Date: 20th of March, 2013 (Wednesday)
Venue: Blackett Lecture Theatre 3 (Physics Building)
Nominations will close on Sunday, 17th of March, 2013 at 11.59pm.
Manifestos will be up on our website by Monday, 18th of March, 2013.
As a reminder, the voting rules and procedures are as follows:
- One member shall be represented by one vote.
- The identity of the voter shall remain secret. If there are more than three candidates for each office, two rounds of elections will be carried out.
- In the first round, the vote for each post shall consist of support for only one candidate. The three candidates with higher number of votes remain for the second round. A vote is deemed spoilt if support for more than one of the candidates seeking that office is indicated on the ballot paper.
- The second round of the voting procedure will go by points. Voters are to select the remaining candidates as the first, second or third choice for office. A candidate being the first choice gets 5 points, second choice gets 3 points and the third choice gets 2 points. A vote is deemed spoilt if the same choice supports for more than one of the candidates seeking that office, indicated on their ballot paper.
- For offices having less than three candidates, only one round of election takes place. The voting procedure will also go by points.
- For Ordinary Committee Member, only one round of voting will be carried out. Four candidates should be listed on each ballot paper (not according to preference) and four candidates with higher number of votes shall be elected as the new Ordinary Committee Members.
- Candidates must declare to the Returning Officer their chosen run down post should they fail to be elected. A full list of candidates will be shown each round prior to the speeches.
- In the event of an impasse in the electoral results, there shall be a recast of votes on the candidates concerned, and the procedure shall be carries out as deemed fit by the Returning Officer.
- Members who wish to cast votes in the election must be present at the Annual General Meeting to vote in person.
Rules regarding re-open nominations (RON)
- For offices with more than 3 candidates, members are allowed to vote for RON in the first round of voting. Nominations will re-open should RON be in the top 3.
- The voting will then proceed again to choose the top 3 candidates. This will then be followed by second round of voting, using the points system, and members cannot vote for RON in this round.
- For offices with 3 or less candidates, members can vote for RON (include RON as one of the three candidates). Nominations will re-open should RON receive the highest number of points.
Time limit for speeches and Q&A session:
1. Candidates running for each position will be given a time limit to present their speech as below:
– President: 3 minutes
– Vice President/ Secretary/ Treasurer/ Sports Secretary / Communications Secretary: 2 minutes
– Ordinary Committee Members : No speech required
2. The Q&A session allocated for candidates of each position is as below:
– President / Vice President: 15 minutes
– Secretary / Treasurer/ Sports Secretary/Communications Secretary: 10 minutes
– Ordinary Committee Members: 5 minutes
We hope that everyone present at the AGM can adhere to the time limit stated above, especially during the Q&A session. This would ensure that the election can be carried out in an efficient and orderly manner.
Voting rules and procedures will be explained again on the day of AGM itself. As we will be discussing on many past events and conducting the elections for the new committee, we appreciate it that everyone arrives on time such that the meeting can be conducted in the most efficient manner possible.
We hope to see you this coming Wednesday!
Returning Officer 12/13